Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here and really happy to be a part of this community. πŸ˜ƒ I'm grateful to learn anything I can to help guide my son. Ian was diagnosed with ASD, ADHD and anxiety when he was 9 yo. He's now 15 and a freshman at a private school that has been very supportive and accommodating. Things were alot different in middle school though. He had alot of meltdowns and struggled socially. He wasn't really bullied, but he felt ignored and left out. He would often say "Why did God make me this way?" It has taken some time, but I think he's finally viewing ASD as more of a blessing and not a curse. Ever since high school started, he finally seems happy and says that he's in his "glow up" stage. He is part of the Cross Country team and has been making more friends and feels he has found his tribe. He was even able to muster up enough courage last week with support from his friends to ask a girl to the Homecoming dance and she said YES! The main thing that we're working on right now is organization and remembering things. He's getting great grades, but sometimes turns assignments in late. I'm reminding him to use timers as he gets very distracted when he's on his phone, Youtube etc. He also has stims that I know are needed to help regulate himself, but I need advice on how to not necessarily stop them, but to find a way they would be more socially appropriate. He often picks at his toes or fingers while he's watching TV, on his phone or at his computer. He touches his mouth alot. A couple times I saw him biting his toenails. He also eats & drinks too fast. Wipes his hands on his shirt. Puts his knee up when he's eating. I've tried the bitter nail polish, spin rings, fidget spinners, wearing socks--nothing is working. I hope ya'll don't think I'm complaining too much and being too harsh. I don't want to nag him, but I also don't want these things to become a habit where he doesn't even realize what he's doing. I just need some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Posted by elsangalang at 2022-09-28 20:44:19 UTC