I was once again reminded to look up the term twice exceptional. I have heard it many times but I just heard it again and had time to look up what it meant. I really don't know how I haven't heard of this before.... This is the website I found: https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-blog/twice-exceptional-definition-characteristics-identification/ I identify so much with this. I have always been in the gifted and talented program, however I was late diagnosed with Autism and ADHD. Largely in part to recognizing it myself, despite my mom hearing it feom my therapist she decided on her own that it meant nothing and I definitely wasn't autistic. I heard about it from an AuDHD youtuber and I heavily identified with all the characteristics EXCEPT being behind in school. School was always so boring to me. I was on grade level until my mom finally convinced a school to test me and when I got tested they wanted to put me in second grade as a 4 year old. My mom said no and they put me in first grade. Before being tested, they wanted me to repeat kindergarten due to my late birthday. Other than that, I always performed on grade level because I was so dang bored I just did the bare minimum. I was finally tested and put in a "gifted and talented" class in third grade. I was tested end of second grade. Once I actually had a class to look forward to, I put my all in school and loved it. Then, when I was offered more and more advanced classes, I thrived more and more. Took a summer geometry course between 7th and 8th grade, and by the time I was in 11th grade I had finishwd Cal 1 and Cal 2 and was moving onto statistics. They ended up running out of classes to offer me because I took ALL college classes that could be offered. I graduated early. I found out in October that I was graduating in December. Due to all my college classes I took, I went into college as a Junior with a full ride. I wanted to share this because I am a testament to the pros and cons of getting late diagnosed. I wasn't seen as twice exceptional because I got diagnosed two weeks before graduating. I was not given the resources needed. If I wanted to, if I had been given the resources earlier, I probably could've graduated closer to 4 years early. I was so incredibly bored in high school and saw nothing as anything to be proud of. Graduate with two associate degrees before high school? Meh. Too easy. Graduate 3 semesters early? Meh. Too easy. It has made me into an EXTREME perfectionist which has made me burnout way quicker and more than others my age. I encourage parents to investigate and just because you are told one thing, that doesn't mean it is the full story. If you are told your kid is autistic, they may be gifted, too. If you are told your kid is gifted, they may be neurodivergent, too. There are so many nasty statistics associated with late diagnosis. One of the most striking, in my opinion, is the fact that those who are neurodivergent and are late diagnosed, are 3x more likely to deal with severe mental health issues (depression, PTSD, anxiety, etc.) than those who are diagnosed on time/early. Please. If someone tells you that your child might be neurodivergent, investigate. If your child has symptoms, please investigate. If you are struggling financially, there are plenty of resources. Some organizations offer free autism testing for people of all ages. Some organizations specify children, some specify adults. Research. There are tons of resources out there that you can find through a simple google search. Anyways, sorry for my rant. I hope this helps(ed) someone.

Posted by Annoymous1 at 2024-06-27 00:38:22 UTC