Good day, I am 39 years old and have high-functioning autism. I want to clarify that I don't view my condition as something trendy or desirable—it's a genuine challenge that affects my marriage, social life, and work environment, particularly when dealing with my boss. I work in the oil and gas industry and was employed by one of the largest upstream companies in the world. In January, I was unexpectedly fired or laid off due to alleged production issues. I was stunned. After some investigation, I discovered that my "layoff" was actually a legal maneuver to place me on another project, which I would have been fine with. However, since then, this company has attempted to place me with four other companies, seemingly to have me sign complex contracts that would prevent me from taking legal action against my original employer. I have filed two EEOC charges, and we are headed to mediation soon. Why would these companies torment me? They all know I have autism, and this situation is driving me to the brink of insanity. Being autistic in a corporate environment, especially one as demanding as oil and gas, presents unique challenges that many don't understand. It's not just about the technical aspects of the job but also about navigating social interactions and legal complexities that can be overwhelming. I'm sharing my story in hopes of shedding light on the struggles many of us face and advocating for better understanding and support in the workplace.

Posted by Thomas M at 2024-05-25 19:41:37 UTC