Any suggestions to increase motivation to get a job, paid or unpaid, in my 24 year old son. He flunked uni, he is now out of defence mode, has v little work experience and doesn’t seem to have much intrinsic motivation to get a job, any job, tho he has applied for lots and had some interviews, unfortunately without success. He is not prepared to get just any job, which is what I would do, just to get on the job ladder. There is little extrinsic motivation to find employment either since he has lots of savings so there is no financial incentive. I am getting to the point where I am thinking of asking him to move to his dad’s in the hope that getting him out of his comfort zone at home might just galvanise him. I don’t want to undo all the hard work I have put in getting him to where he is now so feel conflicted. He is trying but not really as hard as I would like and he’s been at home a year now in a routine which he is comfortable with. He has admitted in the past that he is lazy. Friends and family seem to think I need to exercise tough love now but I am muddled in my mind as to how to proceed. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Posted by jsyrettbarker at 2024-05-22 21:51:39 UTC