What would you do in this situation? My husband and son fight daily because our son (15) struggles to focus and get his school work done (he's homeschooled, adhd, and autism). He's several weeks behind because he's always "too tired" to do any work. He's hyperfixated on video games and coding at the moment. My husband got so frustrated with him yesterday, after asking several times for him to get his work done, that he closed out the coding our son spent 6 hours working on and yanked the computer cord out of the wall. Our son went into meltdown mode. He threw his computer chair and glasses across the room and was shaking from the rage he felt, screaming and calling my husband names. I'm torn. My husband was frustrated due to being constantly annoyed, so I understand how it came to that, but I can't help but feel it was wrong to do, knowing that is our son's hyperfixation and knowing that he'd inevitably have a meltdown. What would you do if you were in that situation? Is there a better way to handle it? His meltdowns are terrifying, and I'm afraid one day he'll hurt himself. We suspect he also has PDA, if that helps.

Posted by macramemom at 2024-05-15 14:22:06 UTC