Hi there. I’m really struggling. I have two children with Asperger’s. They are complete opposites- so it’s really difficult parenting because they have such different issues. But the reason I’m writing this post is I’m really struggling with my daughter who is ten. She lies non-stop- she literally lies over EVERYTHING- even benign stuff. She also steals things from everyone- her friends, teachers, us…. I’m so scared she’s going to end up in serious trouble. This couldn’t be farther from the morals, ethics, behavior modeled (etc) in our family. I’ve tried being an ear to listen and been open to hearing what might be causing this- only for her constantly answer “I don’t know”. It makes it really difficult to build trust between us and build a good relationship when she’s never honest with me. She’s been stealing/lying since she was 4 (when we started noticing it) and it’s never improved. She stole $50 out of my purse this weekend and lied to me as I caught her in the act. We have her in therapy, but she says the same thing to the therapist- “I don’t know”. It makes me feel horrible because I’m feeling like I’m failing her. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Posted by fanofsc at 2024-03-04 16:44:56 UTC