My son is 18, high functioning autism and adhd. He graduated high school this past June. He had a girlfriend for almost 3 years who recently moved away and broke up with him. He has been very shut down since then. He started a coding bootcamp but decided it wasn't for him and stopped. The plan was to do the bootcamp and get a part time job. All that has stopped because he is so down, sad, and shut down. During this time he also decided (because he is 18) to stop his adhd med and Prozac. He was tapering his Prozac with his psych md guidance but this past week he told me he wants to go back up to his usual dose. He realizes he is very depressed. So he is back on his usual dose of Prozac now. He is still very down, poor appetite, losing weight, shut down, not showering, and isolated (he had a couple friends, not super close but they are all in college so he is very isolated). I just don't know what to do for him. We have a good relationship and I'm always asking if he is ok and ask him if he wants to go with me if I need to go to store or run a quick errand to get him out of the house and at least see the sun, but he always says no. I'm supportive of him, tell him I love him, and tell him I am here for him. He is very closed off and doesn't want to talk, but at least I did get out of him that it is because his girlfriend broke up with him. I know she was the closest person to him, even though I don't think she is the most stable person and not the greatest influence for him. I just don't know what to do to help him get unstuck. Thank you for your help.

Posted by dflett35 at 2023-10-08 16:25:00 UTC