I am looking for books, resources or organizations to help someone who is dealing with real difficulty with a 12 year old boy with autism and other issues. I was talking to someone who told me about a friend of hers who is grandmother to a 12 year old boy with autism. This kid grew up with bad parenting, father in jail, mother a heroin addict, and his grandmother had to take him in and raise him. The kid wants to do nothing but play video games, gets absorbed completely in them, won't go to school (he is in a special needs school), he gets violent and threatens violence when he doesn't get what he wants and the grandmother does not know what to do or who to go to. She can't seem to find any support in the schools. They tried to do things to get him to go to school, but nothing is working. I mentioned this organization and also I intend to start an Autism and Mental Health library to lend books and resources to people about these subjects. I don't know if anyone here knows how to deal with this sort of situation. I was hoping either someone here knows some kind of resource or organization on how to find the right support and ways to respond to this sort of struggle. What are this grandmother's options? Who or what organizations can she go to in order to find what kind of interventions or strategies or solutions to help her with her grandson? Does anyone here have solid advice? If not, where could I direct this grandmother? Thanks for any suggestions or referrals. I have seen a lot of parents post on here with similar stories, and I don't know if anything has worked for them. Hoping to be able to provide some kind of direction or suggestions for this grandmother.

Posted by joshuarp at 2023-07-20 01:27:54 UTC