Hi Educationem. Toughest thing for me to realize and let go that I'm the driving force in my daughter's life. She was diagnosed with Asperger's. I also humbly discovered that it is not about me, what I want or even want for her that I see it as in her best interests. But sadly, realize, she may not always listen to me. What worked better for me, was arranging her to speak to mentors, people who could relay some of the same messages I wanted to deliver, but for whatever reason, my daughter was more inclined to listen too. Eventually, she'll figure out that it is consistent with my message but I have not expectations in that space. You're on the right track with coaches. Remember, most things outside of their comfort zone, and this is true for all of us, but perhaps more acute for someone with autism is getting past our comfort zone. I repeat to my daughter constantly that all growth comes only when we get out of our comfort zone. I don't know your specific situation and I may be way off base and if so, apologies. Good luck!

Posted by richard.schreiber at 2023-06-11 18:03:49 UTC