In Part 1 of The Accountability Plan course / Video #4 on Decompression Time: Even though I'm not on the spectrum, I feel like Defense Mode could also apply to those who are neurotypical. I'm 60, but when I was in my 20s and even a bit into my 30s, I would come across as defensive as if someone was judging me when in fact they were only making an observation or offering to assist me. πŸ™ƒ A lot of my reason for being defensive was that I had not realized yet that I was a perfectionist. Thankfully, my faith in God began to heal me from my perfectionistic tendencies as I came to trust His guidance in the everyday things that seemed stressful, but were actually only stressful because of my perfectionism. πŸ’‘ These days, I can usually recognize the perfectionism sneaking upon me and readjust, but because my 22-year-old son has been in various degrees of defense mode since going through puberty, I think his tendencies toward a deep stubbornness were completely lost on me at how similar we really are... and in some sense, I've been reacting to the younger version of myself in defense mode that is present in him to a greater degree than I ever was. This is a little mind-blowing 🀯 from my perspective. Constantly learning! So grateful for these insights! πŸ™Œ Hopefully, I've explained this well enough that others can understand what I have just realized. 😊 Has anyone else experienced this? πŸ€”

Posted by Nan3125 at 2023-05-04 23:34:45 UTC