Good morning! My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with autism 2 years ago. She’s such a sweet girl. We used to struggle a lot with her not wanting to leave her room, getting super anxious around other people, not showering, leaving her room a mess, yelling at me every time we communicated, the list goes on….About 6 months ago I started focusing on connecting with her (even before I found this course). It took awhile, but things have changed for the positive in many ways. She takes walks with me, confides in me, helps around the house, is doing better in school, participates in conversation at the dinner table, sits in the living room for at least an hour or two rather than hiding in her room, jokes with me (I never knew this was possible), eats wholesome meals, and really trusts me. I too have also been working on my healing. The big problem is she still self-harms. It started about 6 months ago and while the severity has decreased, she still does it about every 2-3 weeks. Of course, I’ve hidden objects that may be used to harm herself but she finds ways. I’ve gotten to the point where I can regulate myself and stay calm when she tells me. She also sees a therapist that’s been helpful, but she still struggles. I feel like I’m on the right path but if anyone has any helpful suggestions, I am open. Thank you 🙏🏼

Posted by lily0163 at 2023-03-23 16:49:29 UTC