My sons school called me once again on Friday to tell me that my son was not listening to the teachers and had his head down on his desk. She told me that she would be sending him home with a thick packet of overdue work. I took one look at that packet and I myself was overwhelmed it would’ve been a weekend of reading a 500 page book and over 30 pages of writing prompts. so what did my husband and I do instead? My husband decided the best way to get him out of defense mode was to spend the day with him today which they have not done in a very very very long time. He showed me photos of them having dinner at a restaurant, my son trying a slice of cheesecake for the first time in his entire life and saying it was the best thing he’s ever tasted, going to Dave & Buster’s to play some arcade games, and then they’re going to catch a movie afterwards. This by far is much better for his mental health than a weekend of homework any day in my book. I have seen my son smiling more this weekend than he has in months. And for that reason bonding with him trumps homework. He’s extremely overwhelmed by the work so hopefully they can accommodate less homework on his IEP.

Posted by Lin at 2023-03-12 01:30:39 UTC