New here. What accommodations have you found most helpful with an IEP? I have a 14 year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD, inattentive type about 18 months ago. My therapist recommended this site to me and it has been helpful so far. I'm thinking he needs to be tested for Autism as well. His WISC scores on the neuropsych closely resemble larger samples of kids with Autism, and he struggles with a lot of the regular topics of this site. He has failed almost the last 5 years of classes despite constant checking in, trying new strategies, rewards, punishments, and anything that could be thought of. My partner and I are starting our way through the courses to work on defense mode strategies first. My question is his IEP has mostly been useless thus far. I have requested testing for special education but informed this will not happen until more accommodations are tried. So far he's had more time on assignments, longer times for tests etc but none of that has helped him manage the load of work expected. He also has regularly occurring migraines which cause missing school at least 1 day every 1-2 weeks. I'm unsure what accommodations are possible and what to ask for. I suggested less homework or more class time for homework, but haven't heard back. Some kind of modified schedule would be a dream come true. Mornings are really hard for both of us as he takes a long time to get ready, and also doesn't want to get out of bed until last minute possible. What has been important for you or your kids? Thanks in advance!

Posted by stephcorrente at 2023-03-10 20:09:43 UTC