I was wondering what it feels like from the perspective of an ASD person when you have to be in school all day. I don't think a lot of people understand. I recently realized that my son's primary stim is to sing and talk to himself. I can't imagine trying to keep quiet all day and the anxiety it must bring not being able to use his favorite way of calming. When I asked him how he does it, he said sometimes he can do it if he the bathroom is empty. It was for this reason and others we decided to homeschool him (they just couldn't accommodate his social support needs). So we are lucky that I work a second shift, my husband works from home, and we can home school. I would like to say this solved things, but now, because he feels safe to have outbursts...I'm getting the brunt of it as teacher/mom. We are supporting him as much as we can, but it seems as long as he has to do something he doesn't want to do, he is going to melt down. We are looking into PDA, pathological Demand avoidance, a UK ASD diagnosis. The treatment is super challenging though...Here is the best resource to learn more about PDA https://emilywilding.com/neuropsychology/neurodiversity/pathological-demand-avoidance/

Posted by fiennesite at 2023-02-09 12:48:00 UTC