My soon to be 13-year old daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 7. She now is always in defense mode, doesn't understand why she has to go to school, why she has to do homework, why she has to do chores, etc. Every day I explain why and try to teach her and help her, but she always has an attitude and a chip on her shoulder. It then turns into mouthiness and sass, and I don't know how to help her. She has been this way for over two years now. Disciplining doesn't help as it just gets her more frustrated and mad, but I am trying to explain the consequences good or bad to every day decisions, which I think she understands, but she just continues to say "I just want to be an adult and do whatever I want" or she says "I want to live with someone else that will let me stay up until whenever I want or gives me what I want." I tell her that no one will give her whatever she wants. It's so frustrating! I feel like I am hurting our relationship even more, but I don't know what to do. Can anyone give me advice on what to do? TIA!

Posted by BJM2010 at 2023-02-07 14:40:39 UTC