My grandson absolutely refuses school. It’s been almost 2 years. He is HFA and is on anti depressants and mood stabilizer. He is now 16 1/2 years old and we decided after an unsuccessful attempt to get him a residential placement, that we would allow him to pursue his GED. I don’t feel badly about this decision because I think my grandson needs to “get moving.” We got in contact with the school ( they have let us alone through the residential placement attempt) and at first they were supportive but then said it is not possible. There are several stipulations ( age, for one) that prevent this course of action (GED). We are becoming more and more disheartened. Our grandson has been with us for over 2 years and has barely gone to school. He is in his room all the time except to eat. Hygiene is lacking. Social skills are not horrible as long as it’s not school. I signed up for the upcoming seminar but I don’t think I’ll ever get him into school. ANY SCHOOL. Any suggestions…… we like the GED idea but then what? We are hoping that will help get him going. Thanks for any and all replies! Susan

Posted by redsue53 at 2023-01-29 16:41:05 UTC