Anyone else feel like they are always walking on eggshells? I’m a single parent of a 16year old and no matter what I say, don’t say, he blows up at everything/. I’ve done everything I can think of to connect and help him get out of defense mode. I know teens struggle with their parents but this is next level and I start to feel like I can’t do this. I try to listen, understand and adjust and work on connection but When he was younger it was easier to connect with him and we could always get to the other side but now that he is a teenager that never seems to happen no matter how hard I try I wake up feeling I don’t know what to expect and since “I don’t understand autism” I’m always the one in the wrong. Tonight I simply was looking up parent resources on autism as I know I need more support and he freaked out on how the “puzzle” used for autism is a problem and that if I need support that means that means kids with Autism are the problem and now I’m being “ablelist” I seriously can’t win. I get that he is in defense mode but being the one to be the target of everything is just too much to handle. Anyone out there that got through these Aspie teen years and survived? If so, what kept you from losing it (I don’t have a partner - just me and my pup) and when did it better?

Posted by jerinb2000 at 2023-01-20 06:28:50 UTC