Hello. I am the mother of a 14 year old and we are struggling. She was diagnosed with autism when she was 9 with a PDA profile. As she entered puberty she came out as trans identifying as them or her. As parents are very supportive but we can see how this is affecting her. She is depressed, has anxiety crisis, hides her body and face behind a covid mask at al times. She is not able to get out of bed and go to school. Then she stays awake at night. Her devices and gaming seem to be the only things she is able to do and be at peace. On the one hand we see that gaming or being on the internet is a coping strategy, but not the best. It also distracts her from focusing on her personal development and wellbeing. If we let her self- regulate she will be all night on electronics and sleep during the day. But every time we try to bring some limits to her access to the devices or internet, she does not accept it, becomes very defiant and we end um with a crisis. We want to break this cycle but are unable to find a way… she also is not open to support by others, being it is or psychologists, psychiatrists or coaches. She started with a new one now let’s see how that goes. I feel we do all wrong and wonder what’s best approach: give her the freedom she wants and hope she can balance herself? Impose stronger measures and control more access to electronics? I see risks and dangers in both and don’t know what to do…

Posted by criseiro at 2023-01-13 01:20:39 UTC