My 17 year old was diagnosed when he was in 2nd grade. We've done all of the things, occupational therapy, social skills groups, ABA therapy, much work at home, workbooks, social stories, etc, but he refuses to acknowledge or admit that he's "different", and if we address it, he gets extremely frustrated and tries to run away (from us, not from home lol). I got a book recently that is so good, written by an Aspie, I see so much of him as I read it, so I wanted him to read it. He said no way, said he doesn't even want to see it, said he'll rip it up. His dad and I are still trying to help him and push him when it's appropriate, but I just don't know what to do when he won't admit it/accept it and therefore won't do anything to help himself. Any advice? Anyone else experience this? It's not like we sprung it on him late in life, as some people do. We told him as soon as we found out, we got him a workbook, read books to him about it, encouraged him, tried to explain that it's not "something wrong", it's just something different. We are very encouraging and loving, just don't know what to do.

Posted by faithgirl0507 at 2022-12-19 19:45:12 UTC